The Trouble With Abstinence Pledges
- Abstinence pledges are only as good as the commitment made to them.
- The motivation behind making the pledge is crucial. If the pledge is
made for appearances or to please someone else, chances are it will not
- However, if the pledge is made with purposeful intent and for the right
reasons, chances are that it will be effective.
- Those who make abstinence pledges need a positive support system
- Involved parents
- Positive peer support
- Encouragement from youth leaders
- Dating guidelines and safeguards
are an important element in enabling teens to stay committed to abstinence.